[R] Cannot update some packages after upgrade to 2.1.1

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jul 20 16:56:27 CEST 2005

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005, Uwe Ligges wrote:

> Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 20 Jul 2005, Kevin E. Thorpe wrote:
>>

>>> Thank you for the information. I have contacted the RPM maintainer and am
>>> awaiting a response.
>>>
>>> It occurs to me that my "problem" could also be fixed by putting ATLAS on
>>> my system. Are there advantages to doing that or any reasons not to?
>>

>> It is a good idea unless you share R systems between different
>> architectures (even down to the vintage of P4 or Xeon chips). We do and so
>> tend to avoid ATLAS (which gets statically compiled in by default).
>

> We are using you ATLAS-optimized Rblas.dll files for our facutly wide Windows
> installation.
>
> Additional to the regular .../bin directory, we have copies called
> .../bin-At, .../bin-P3, .../bin-P4 but the regular Rblas.dll replaced by
> those optimized Rblas.dll files.
> Hence one can simply call .../bin-P4/RGui.exe on any P4/Xeon machine and do
> not need a seperate installation for another Athlon machine using the
> .../bin-At/RGui.exe, for example.

That is fine on Windows, which has a separate Rblas.dll exactly to enable
this to be done.

You can also do it on Debian Linux, which has a dynamic libatlas (as I
understand it).

On other systems with a static ATLAS library, the BLAS is compiled into
the R installation in many (up to hundreds) of places, including each
package that uses a BLAS.   It's all too easy to build R on, say, an
Athlon and discover it segfaults on a Xeon because an Athlon-optimized
ATLAS has been compiled in. (I've done it more than once, and it needs the
whole setup to be reinstalled, including many of the packages without it
being obvious which ones).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk