[R] Cannot update some packages after upgrade to 2.1.1

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Wed Jul 20 16:43:48 CEST 2005

Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Jul 2005, Kevin E. Thorpe wrote:
>

>>Thank you for the information. I have contacted the RPM maintainer and am
>>awaiting a response.
>>
>>It occurs to me that my "problem" could also be fixed by putting ATLAS on my
>>system. Are there advantages to doing that or any reasons not to?
>

> It is a good idea unless you share R systems between different
> architectures (even down to the vintage of P4 or Xeon chips). We do and so
> tend to avoid ATLAS (which gets statically compiled in by default).

We are using you ATLAS-optimized Rblas.dll files for our facutly wide
Windows installation.

Additional to the regular .../bin directory, we have copies called
.../bin-At, .../bin-P3, .../bin-P4 but the regular Rblas.dll replaced by
those optimized Rblas.dll files.
Hence one can simply call .../bin-P4/RGui.exe on any P4/Xeon machine and
do not need a seperate installation for another Athlon machine using the
.../bin-At/RGui.exe, for example.

Uwe