[R] Cannot update some packages after upgrade to 2.1.1

Kevin E. Thorpe kevin.thorpe at utoronto.ca
Fri Jul 22 15:58:09 CEST 2005

Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Jul 2005, Kevin E. Thorpe wrote:
>
>> Thank you for the information. I have contacted the RPM maintainer
>> and am awaiting a response.
>>
>> It occurs to me that my "problem" could also be fixed by putting
>> ATLAS on my system. Are there advantages to doing that or any reasons
>> not to?
>

> It is a good idea unless you share R systems between different
> architectures (even down to the vintage of P4 or Xeon chips). We do
> and so tend to avoid ATLAS (which gets statically compiled in by
> default).

After following the discussion between you and Uwe, and thinking a bit,
I've decided to give it a try. My system is basically stand-alone so
different architectures are not an issue.

Now my question (recognising this may be the wrong list). I successfully
compiled ATLAS, but it isn't clear to me from the install instructions
that came with it how to make the libraries "seen" by gcc and g77 and
therefore, presumably by the configure script with the R source. How do
I make the libraries available? I've looked at the ATLAS project page
and done a couple RSiteSearch's but have not yet recognised the answer
to my question.

--
Kevin E. Thorpe
Biostatistician/Trialist, Knowledge Translation Program