[R] bug in chdir option of source

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Tue Jul 12 14:09:51 CEST 2005

usenet at s-boehringer.de wrote:
> I apologize for not having investigated enough.
>
> However I want to bring up the point that upgrading can be a very
> tedious thing. I administer a cluster for which upgrading brings it to a
> halt for several hours stopping all calculations going on. At the moment
> I have no way to go from 2.1.0 to 2.1.1.

One simple solution is to test on a different system (e.g. a standalone
one).  If the bug is present in 2.1.0 there but absent on 2.1.1, it's
probably fixed on your cluster, too.

Another option which may or may not work is just to read the NEWS file
for the newer releases.  It's not always obvious that a bug fix there
fixes your own problem, but sometimes it is.

> I just want to add this point to the release policy of R which
> historically has very quick release cycles which on the one hand is a
> very positive thing but on the other hand can be problematic with
> respect to some aspects.

It's hard to decide which versions to install.  On the one hand, if
installs are difficult, you want to do it infrequently -- so maybe skip
all the x.y.0 releases.  On the other hand, if you have unusual
hardware, you are likely to see bugs that others don't see -- so
installing the betas and the .0 releases will help to get your bugs fixed.

This is why it's useful to have two systems, one for "production", one
for testing.  Then you can follow both policies.

Duncan Murdoch