[R] bug in chdir option of source

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jul 12 13:56:37 CEST 2005

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 usenet at s-boehringer.de wrote:

> I apologize for not having investigated enough.
>
> However I want to bring up the point that upgrading can be a very
> tedious thing. I administer a cluster for which upgrading brings it to a
> halt for several hours stopping all calculations going on. At the moment
> I have no way to go from 2.1.0 to 2.1.1.
>
> I just want to add this point to the release policy of R which
> historically has very quick release cycles which on the one hand is a
> very positive thing but on the other hand can be problematic with
> respect to some aspects.

I really don't understand.  Just install the current R in a different
place and try it.  If it works better, use it for newly-started jobs.
We too run a large cluster (and a few hundred loosely connected machines)
and are able to upgrade pretty transparently even when long jobs are
running.

For those who are reluctant to upgrade, I would suggest never installing a
.0 release (of any software, not just R).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk