[R] bug in chdir option of source

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Tue Jul 12 14:10:50 CEST 2005

usenet at s-boehringer.de writes:

> I apologize for not having investigated enough.
>
> However I want to bring up the point that upgrading can be a very
> tedious thing. I administer a cluster for which upgrading brings it to a
> halt for several hours stopping all calculations going on. At the moment
> I have no way to go from 2.1.0 to 2.1.1.

Hmm, I'll believe you, but the blame for that can be shifted in
various directions.

> I just want to add this point to the release policy of R which
> historically has very quick release cycles which on the one hand is a
> very positive thing but on the other hand can be problematic with
> respect to some aspects.

Actually, we have quite slow release cycles compared to other
OpenSource projects. It's basically twice a year plus minor patches.
According to freshmeat.net, a project's "vitality" essentially drops
to zero a month after the latest release.

Now if only people would actually try the betas rather than reporting
errors after the release, we'd have a much better chance of avoiding
problems like yours...

--
   O__  ---- Peter Dalgaard             Øster Farimagsgade 5, Entr.B