[R] lme: howto specify covariance structure between levels of grouping factors

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Wed Sep 1 16:59:03 CEST 2004

      1.  Have you followed "the posting guide!
http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html"?  In many cases, it might
help you answer your own questions.  If not, it might help you formulate
a question in a way that might generate more useful replies.

      2.  Have you studied Pinhiero and  Bates (2000) Mixed Effects
Models in S and S-Plus (Springer)?  In my opinion, this is an excellent
book on the subject, and I was not able to use lme effectively until
after I had studied that book.

      hope this helps.  spencer graves

Patrick Van Cleemputte wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I am studying the possibility of using the nlme package in R to
> analyse field trials of agricultural crops. I have a problem with the
> syntax for the modelling of variance covariance structures. I can
> model the within-group covariance structure using the correlation
> argument and the covariance structure between different random effects
> of the same grouping level using 'random=pdDiag(~effect)|group' but I
> would like to model the covariance structure' between' the different
> levels of the grouping factor. This is necessary because the plants (=
> grouping factor) we are testing are not independant. They are
> genetically correlated and usually we know this correlation. I would
> therefore also like to specify the exact (not starting) values of this
> 'between subjects correlation'.
>
> Can you tell me if this is possible in R and how the syntax of such a
> model would look like?
>
> thank you in advance,
>
> P.
>

> http://entertainment.msn.be/muziek/musicclub

Spencer Graves, PhD, Senior Development Engineer
O:  (408)938-4420;  mobile:  (408)655-4567