[R] lme: howto specify covariance structure between levels of grouping factors

Patrick Van Cleemputte cleemputte at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 1 12:25:44 CEST 2004

Dear all,

I am studying the possibility of using the nlme package in R to analyse
field trials of agricultural crops. I have a problem with the syntax for the
modelling of variance covariance structures. I can model the within-group
covariance structure using the correlation argument and the covariance
structure between different random effects of the same grouping level using
'random=pdDiag(~effect)|group' but I would like to model the covariance
structure' between' the different levels of the grouping factor. This is
necessary because the plants (= grouping factor) we are testing are not
independant. They are genetically correlated and usually we know this
correlation. I would therefore also like to specify the exact (not starting)
values of this 'between subjects correlation'.

Can you tell me if this is possible in R and how the syntax of such a model
would look like?

thank you in advance,

P.

http://entertainment.msn.be/muziek/musicclub