[R] R-1.9.1 compiling problem

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Mon Oct 11 16:51:43 CEST 2004

lu kan <luk111111 at yahoo.com> writes:

> I downloaded R-1.9.1.tgz, and tried to install it on
> debian linux machine according to the installation
> commands
> ./configure
> make
>
> but I got the following error message. Could you
> please advise me what is the reason for this.

> `/home1/lu/usr/tmp1/R-1.9.1/src/scripts'
>
>     The current directory must be set to the RSI
> directory.
>     Change the default to the RSI directory and re-run
>     this script.

I think it means that you're picking up the wrong version of the
"install" script. That exact phrasing occurs in (thank Google!)

#!/bin/sh
#
#       $Id: install,v 1.67 2003/01/28 19:54:23 beth Exp $
#
# install
#
# Research Systems, Inc                         March 1, 1988
# This shell script carries out the steps required to install IDL
# or an IDL based product once the main directory has been unpacked.
# It expects to be run from the RSI directory.
#

Does that ring a bell with you?