[R] rgl installation problems

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Wed Jun 30 12:20:39 CEST 2004

Martyn Plummer <plummer at iarc.fr> writes:

> On Wed, 2004-06-30 at 00:52, E GCP wrote:
> > Thanks for your replies. I do not HTML-ize my mail, but free email accounts
> > do that and there is not a switch to turn it off.  I apologize in advance.
> >
> > I installed R from the redhat package provided by Martyn Plummer. It
> > installed fine and without problems. I can use R and have installed and used
> > other packages within R without any problems whatsoever. I do not think the
> > problem is with R or its installation.   I do think there is a problem with
> > the installation of rgl_0.64-13.tar.gz on RedHat 9 (linux).  So, if there is
> > anybody out there who has installed succesfully rgl_0.64-13.tar.gz on RedHat
> > 9, I would like to know how.
>
> This is a little strange.  I'm now building RPMS for older Red Hat
> versions on FC2 using a tool called Mach.  There is a possibility that
> there is some configuration problem, but I can't see it. As Brian has
> pointed out, you are missing the crucial "-shared" flag when building
> the shared library for rgl. This comes from the line
>
> SHLIB_CXXLDFLAGS = -shared
>
> in the file /usr/lib/R/etc/Makeconf.  This is present in my latest RPM
> for Red Hat ( R-1.9.1-0.fdr.2.rh90.i386.rpm ) so I don't know why it
> isn't working for you.
>
> Check that you do have the latest RPM and that you don't have a locally
> built version of R in /usr/local since this will have precedence on your
> PATH.

One thing to notice is that rgl does its own configure step (hadn't
noticed on my first build since g++ is so noisy about a number of
other things), and it is possible that something is getting messed up
on E's RH9 system.

Redirecting the output as in

R CMD INSTALL rgll_0.64-13.tar.gz 2>&1 | tee rgl.log

and poring over the result might prove informative.