[R] rgl installation problems

Martyn Plummer plummer at iarc.fr
Wed Jun 30 11:31:59 CEST 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-30 at 00:52, E GCP wrote:
> Thanks for your replies. I do not HTML-ize my mail, but free email accounts
> do that and there is not a switch to turn it off.  I apologize in advance.
>
> I installed R from the redhat package provided by Martyn Plummer. It
> installed fine and without problems. I can use R and have installed and used
> other packages within R without any problems whatsoever. I do not think the
> problem is with R or its installation.   I do think there is a problem with
> the installation of rgl_0.64-13.tar.gz on RedHat 9 (linux).  So, if there is
> anybody out there who has installed succesfully rgl_0.64-13.tar.gz on RedHat
> 9, I would like to know how.

This is a little strange.  I'm now building RPMS for older Red Hat
versions on FC2 using a tool called Mach.  There is a possibility that
there is some configuration problem, but I can't see it. As Brian has
pointed out, you are missing the crucial "-shared" flag when building
the shared library for rgl. This comes from the line

SHLIB_CXXLDFLAGS = -shared

in the file /usr/lib/R/etc/Makeconf.  This is present in my latest RPM
for Red Hat ( R-1.9.1-0.fdr.2.rh90.i386.rpm ) so I don't know why it
isn't working for you.

Check that you do have the latest RPM and that you don't have a locally
built version of R in /usr/local since this will have precedence on your
PATH.

Martyn