[R] Attachments in R-help postings {was "... reading large tables"}

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Wed Jan 7 14:11:48 CET 2004

    Duncan> On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 14:03:47 -0500, Daniel Sumers
    Duncan> Myers <dmyers at umiacs.umd.edu> wrote :

    Duncan> P.S. You can't send attachments to the mailing list,
yes, you can, if you use the proper "Content-Type", e.g.,
'text/plain' is ok, see below.

    Duncan> so I didn't see your data file.

He forgot it, and then tried to resend it.  That second try
failed because the full length message became over 500k bytes;
and these currently are completely filtered irrespectively of
content (one needs a limit for large messages: these could bog
down the machine(s) that do the mail filtering).

On the topic of e-mail attachments,
http://www.R-project.org/mail.html#instructions  says

 >> Furthermore, most binary e-mail attachments are not accepted,
 >> i.e., they are removed from the posting completely. As an
 >> exception, we allow application/pdf, application/postscript,
 >> and image/png (and x-tar and gzip on R-devel). You can use
 >> text/plain as well, or simply paste text into your message instead.

Regards,
Martin Maechler <maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch>	http://stat.ethz.ch/~maechler/
Seminar fuer Statistik, ETH-Zentrum  LEO C16	Leonhardstr. 27
ETH (Federal Inst. Technology)	8092 Zurich	SWITZERLAND
phone: x-41-1-632-3408		fax: ...-1228			<><