[R] Latin 2 encoding + fonts

Prof Brian D Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Feb 4 18:21:38 CET 2004

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004, Miha STAUT wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In the FAQ I read about options to specify different fonts than the default
> ones for the console (in the file Rprofile) and for the graphical output
> (Rdevga). I would however like to replace Latin 1 with Latin 2 enconding for
> both (console and graphical) output in Windows and just graphical output in
> Linux.

You are confusing fonts with encodings.

Windows does not use either Latin 1 or Latin 2, and R for Windows does not
encode for the console or the graphical device.  Just use the Windows
version of a ISO-8859-2 locale and a font supported by your locale (almost
all under NT, fewer under Win9x).

> I guess it is possible but I did not find the way.
>
> How can I use the fonts (*.afm) and the (presumably) encondings (*.enc) in
> R/rw1081/afm? How do I know what are the real font names. Are those only the
> ones listed in the man page for Hershey?

This is nothing to do with Hershey.  All the information you need is on the
help page for postscript().

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk