[R] Latin 2 encoding + fonts

Paul Murrell p.murrell at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Feb 4 23:25:11 CET 2004

Hi

Prof Brian D Ripley wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Feb 2004, Miha STAUT wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>In the FAQ I read about options to specify different fonts than the default
>>ones for the console (in the file Rprofile) and for the graphical output
>>(Rdevga). I would however like to replace Latin 1 with Latin 2 enconding for
>>both (console and graphical) output in Windows and just graphical output in
>>Linux.
>

> You are confusing fonts with encodings.
>
> Windows does not use either Latin 1 or Latin 2, and R for Windows does not
> encode for the console or the graphical device.  Just use the Windows
> version of a ISO-8859-2 locale and a font supported by your locale (almost
> all under NT, fewer under Win9x).
>

>>I guess it is possible but I did not find the way.
>>
>>How can I use the fonts (*.afm) and the (presumably) encondings (*.enc) in
>>R/rw1081/afm? How do I know what are the real font names. Are those only the
>>ones listed in the man page for Hershey?
>

> This is nothing to do with Hershey.  All the information you need is on the
> help page for postscript().

And in case you're interested in the grubby details ...

The files in R/rw1081/afm are used for PostScript and PDF output (the
*.afm are font metric files used for determining characters sizes,
espectially for mathematical annotation;  the *.enc are encoding files).
  They are "used" by specifying the family and/or encoding argument(s)
when starting one of these devices.  See ?postscript and ?pdf

The Hershey fonts are available for all graphical formats and can be
accessed via a vfont argument currently.  See ?text
All Hershey fonts are hard-coded to use a fixed encoding (mostly
ISO-Latin-1).

Paul
--
Dr Paul Murrell