[R] R doesn't support 3D histograms?

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Mon May 19 22:05:41 CEST 2003

Andre DOS ANJOS wrote:

> Hi,
>
>         I've been using R since a while now to make 2D histograms. I have
> some data (appended) that would like to use to make a 3-D plot with x being
> the first variable in the file, y the second and the height, or z the third
> variable. How can I do it in R? I would like to have 3-D visualization of
> this plot. Preferably as a lego plot, that is, a set of stacks that grow
> with respect to the value of z, which have their delta x and delta y lengths
> equivalent to the spacings between the values of x and y. Other people also
> call it a 3-D histogram.
>
>         Regards, Andre.

I don't know of such a function. You could try to "hack" you on function
around others, like cloud() in package lattice or scatterplot3d() in the
identically called package. Neither way will be easy or even very
promising.
As always, contributions are welcome, but if you are just going to
produce a few of these plots, I'd suggest to switch to another software
for that purpose.

Uwe Ligges