[R] R doesn't support 3D histograms?

Duncan Murdoch dmurdoch at pair.com
Mon May 19 22:20:05 CEST 2003

On Mon, 19 May 2003 14:58:07 +0200 (CEST), you wrote:

>Hi,
>
>	I've been using R since a while now to make 2D histograms. I have
>some data (appended) that would like to use to make a 3-D plot with x being
>the first variable in the file, y the second and the height, or z the third
>variable. How can I do it in R? I would like to have 3-D visualization of
>this plot. Preferably as a lego plot, that is, a set of stacks that grow
>with respect to the value of z, which have their delta x and delta y lengths
>equivalent to the spacings between the values of x and y. Other people also
>call it a 3-D histogram.

There are some 3D contributed packages available.  Mine (djmrgl) has a
function called hist3d() that might do what you want.  It's available
for Windows only from my web page
<http://www.stats.uwo.ca/faculty/murdoch/software>  One of my projects
for the summer is to merge djmrgl with the other OpenGL project by
Daniel Adler; then (and possibly now) a cross-platform 3D histogram
will be available.

Duncan Murdoch