[R] Use Rterm in rxvt for Cygwin?

Paul Y. Peng ypeng at math.mun.ca
Mon Mar 3 03:16:03 CET 2003

Dear R users,

Does anyone notice that Rterm.exe does not work well with rxvt.exe,
an xterm emulator for Cygwin? It produces an error message window
with the following message:

    This program has performed an illegal operation
    and will be shut down.
    If the problem persists, contact the program vendor

It also prints "Signal 127" in rxvt window.

Rterm --ess, however, works. But its command line editing is awful
because it is for Emacs, not for a shell window.

Rterm.exe works well in a MS-DOS window. Because of limitations
of the MS-DOS window, I would like to use Rterm.exe in an rxvt
window. I am using R-1.6.2 and rxvt-2.7.2 on Win98se. Thanks for
any comments.

Paul.