[R] automatic logging of commands

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri Aug 22 13:06:15 CEST 2003

    BDR> On Thu, 21 Aug 2003, David R. Bickel wrote:
    >> The piping UNIX command that I just suggested is better
    >> than nothing, but writes backspaces or other invisible
    >> characters to the file, sometimes in place of characters
    >> that were visible on the screen.

    BDR> Under actual UNIX, that is not so: the characters in
    BDR> the file are those sent to the terminal.  Perhaps your
    BDR> terminal does things you do not expect.

    BDR> Many decent UNIX terminal windows allow you to save
    BDR> their contents, BTW.

    >> Some kind of R command that writes everything that
    >> appears on the screen to a file would be better.

    BDR> You can always contribute one (see the R startup
    BDR> banner).  Not that I think this is the job of a
    BDR> statistics package under UNIX, when other tools exist:
    BDR> you might also like to investigate ESS under Emacs,
    BDR> which can I believe do what you want.

Definitely.  Just write the *R* buffer to a file (C-x C-w) even
continuing using it.
"Use ESS!" would have been my answer to the original question.

Martin Maechler <maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch>	http://stat.ethz.ch/~maechler/
Seminar fuer Statistik, ETH-Zentrum  LEO C16	Leonhardstr. 27
ETH (Federal Inst. Technology)	8092 Zurich	SWITZERLAND
phone: x-41-1-632-3408		fax: ...-1228			<><