[R] automatic logging of commands

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Aug 21 21:36:24 CEST 2003

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003, David R. Bickel wrote:

> The piping UNIX command that I just suggested is better than nothing, but
> writes backspaces or other invisible characters to the file, sometimes in
> place of characters that were visible on the screen.

Under actual UNIX, that is not so: the characters in the file are those
sent to the terminal.  Perhaps your terminal does things you do not
expect.

Many decent UNIX terminal windows allow you to save their contents, BTW.

> Some kind of R command that writes everything that appears on the screen to
> a file would be better.

You can always contribute one (see the R startup banner).  Not that I
think this is the job of a statistics package under UNIX, when other tools
exist: you might also like to investigate ESS under Emacs, which can I
believe do what you want.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk