[R] bca ci's and NaN's in boot.out

Thomas W Blackwell tblackw at umich.edu
Fri Apr 25 00:04:48 CEST 2003

Katalin  -

I think that calling  bca.ci()  with argument  type="reg"
in addition to the arguments you've used already MIGHT do
the trick.

This argument will be passed to  empinf() and it ought
to guarantee that the method  empinf.reg() is used.  That
method looks as though it will tolerate NAs.  I've never
used any of this stuff, so I don't know.  I'm just looking
at the function definitions for  bca.ci(), empinf() and
empinf.reg(), inf.jack(), usual.jack(), positive.jack().
These last four functions are called by  empinf() under
various conditions.

For more details, I encourage you to look at the function
definitions yourself, and try to trace exactly which ones
will be called for the particular set of arguments you are
using.  To see a function definition, type the name of the
function at the command prompt without any parentheses ()
after the function name.

It's quite possible that you are testing the package with
a combination of arguments that has never been used before,
and that some default setting isn't quite doing its job.
I'm afraid I will leave the more detailed investigation to
you.

HTH  -  tom blackwell  -  u michigan medical school  -  ann arbor  -