[R] writing S-Plus datasets

Michaell Taylor michaell.taylor at reis.com
Mon Dec 9 16:53:09 CET 2002

I find myself needing to write R data frames to S-Plus (sdd) forma to ship to
clients.  Currently I save the R data into text files and import into S-Plus
to form sdd file.  I would very much like to skip the S-Plus stage if
possible (for a variety of silly reasons shipping the text files is not an
answer.)  ---  Pretty good endorsement of R eh?, I own S-plus and want to
avoid using it in favor of R.

I would consider scriptable non-S-plus data conversion utilities.

I know that the foreign package allows one to read S-Plus files in R, but
seemingly there is not a 'write.S' function.

Any one tackled this issue already?