[R] heteroscedasticity analysis

Pfaff, Bernhard Bernhard.Pfaff at drkw.com
Mon Dec 9 16:42:03 CET 2002

Have a look at the 'lmtest'-contributed package.

maybe the following function is of use, too. Pls. check, if I got the
calculation of the test statistic right.

arch<-function(x, lag=4)
	{
		xfit<-lm(x)
		res<-xfit$residuals
		ressq<-res^2
#
		tslag<-function(x,d=1)
			{
			 n<-length(x)
    			 c(rep(NA,d),x)[1:n]
			}
#
		ressq.data<-array(NA,c(length(ressq), lag))
		labels<-paste("ressq.l",1:lag, sep="")
		colnames(ressq.data)<-labels
		for ( i in 1:lag)
			{
			 ressq.data[,i]<-tslag(ressq,d=i)
			}
		residssq<-as.data.frame(ressq.data)
		attach(residssq)
		aux<-as.formula(paste("ressq~",paste(labels,collapse="+")))
		auxfit<-lm(aux)
		auxsum<-summary(auxfit)
		stat<-length(auxsum$residuals)* auxsum$r.squared
		pval<-1-pchisq(stat,df=lag)
		detach(residssq)
		ARCH.Stat<-c(stat,pval)
		ARCH.Stat
	}

As input you have tp provide your model formula, the test itself is based
upon the lm-residuals.

HTH,
Bernhard