[Rd] Testing R build when using --without-recommended-packages?

Gabriel Becker g@bembecker @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue May 4 23:10:12 CEST 2021

Hi Henrik,

A couple of things. Firstly, so far asI have ever heard, it's valid that a
package have hard dependencies in its tests for packages listed only in
Suggests.  In fact, that is one of the stated purposes of Suggests. An
argument could be made, I suppose, that the base packages should be under
stricter guidelines, but stats isn't violating the letter or intention of
Suggests by doing this.

Secondly, I don't have time to dig through the make files/administration
docs, but I do know that R CMD check has --no-stop-on-error, so you can
either separately or as part of make check, use that option for stats (and
elsewhere as needed?) and just know that the stats tests that depend on
MASS are "false positive" (or, more accurately, missing value) test
results, rather than real positives, and go from there.

You could also "patch" the tests as part of your build process. Somewhere I
worked had to do that for parts of the internet tests that were unable to
get through the firewall.

Best,
~G