[Rd] Testing R build when using --without-recommended-packages?

Henrik Bengtsson henr|k@bengt@@on @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue May 4 22:03:39 CEST 2021

Two questions to R Core:

1. Is R designed so that 'recommended' packages are optional, or
should that be considered uncharted territories?

2. Can such an R build/installation be validated using existing check methods?

--

Dirk, it's not clear to me whether you know for sure, or you draw
conclusions based your long experience and reading. I think it's very

cd tests
../bin/R CMD make check

but they fail the same way.  The passage continuous "... and other
useful targets are test-BasePackages and test-Recommended to run tests
of the standard and recommended packages (if installed) respectively."
(*).  So, to me that hints at 'recommended' packages are optional just
as they're "Priority: recommended".  Further down, there's also a
mentioning of:

$ R_LIBS_USER="" R --vanilla
> Sys.setenv(LC_COLLATE = "C", LC_TIME = "C", LANGUAGE = "en")
> tools::testInstalledPackages(scope = "base")

which also produces errors when 'recommended' packages are missing,
e.g. "Failed with error:  'there is no package called 'nlme'".

(*) BTW, '../bin/R CMD make test-BasePackages' gives "make: *** No
rule to make target 'test-BasePackages'.  Stop."

Thanks,

/Henrik