[Rd] R not responding (must force quit) when saving graphic to PDF (bug?)

Henrik Bengtsson henrik.bengtsson at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 01:12:04 CEST 2016

I'm not an OS X user, but two things you might look into/help you troubleshoot:

1. Because you said it only happens when you try to overwrite an
existing PDF, could it be that there is another process holding onto
(=locking) the PDF file that you're trying to write to?  For instance,
are you viewing it at the same time?

2. What happens if you create a dummy dummy.txt file, and then try to
overwrite that (with the same name - so no *.pdf)?  Does that work/not
work?  If it works, it means there's something special with *.pdf
files.  If not, then ... ?!?.

My $.02

/Henrik

PS. I think Wolfgang's point is that few people will spent time
troubleshooting obsolete versions of R (unless they're on the same
version), meaning the chances for feedback/troubleshooting on this is
much smaller than if it could be confirmed we a more up-to-date
version of R.  Because if it does given a problem in a new version,
there is nothing really to fix.  Having said this, any feedback that
might >= 1 person is always useful.