[Rd] Building R-patched and R-devel fails

Berwin A Turlach Berwin.Turlach at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 08:25:01 CEST 2016

G'day all,

probably you have noticed this by now, but I thought I ought to report
it. :)

My scripts that update the SVN sources for R-patched and R-devel, run
`tools/rsync-recommended' (for both) and then install both these
versions from scratch failed this morning.  Apparently the new version
of the recommended package `survival' depends on the recommended
package `Matrix', but the makefile does not ensure that Matrix is build
before survival.  So my log files had entries:

  [...]
  ERROR: dependency ‘Matrix’ is not available for package ‘survival’
  * removing ‘/opt/src/R-devel-build/library/survival’
  Makefile:51: recipe for target 'survival.ts' failed
  make[2]: *** [survival.ts] Error 1
  [...]

Presumably, in both branches, the files Makefile.in and Makefile.win in
src/library/Recommended have to be adapted to contain the following
line at the end among the "Hardcoded dependencies":

	survival.ts: Matrix.ts

Cheers,

	Berwin