[Rd] MetaCran website v1.0.0-alpha

Tim Triche, Jr. tim.triche at gmail.com
Tue May 26 21:04:49 CEST 2015

What you are doing is great, and that's a pretty clear warning (I would go
ahead and add "DO NOT FORK ME" to the verbiage since I am one of the
dumbasses who submitted a pull request in such a fashion, whereupon the
original author got to set up a Git repo, I re-PR'ed against that, and all
was well).  But the fact that Dan wrote a bot for the BioC git mirror
specifically to bounce PR's... well, it's unlikely that this is an isolated
need.

A simple switch indicating that a repo is a mirror and should not accept
pull requests would be something that GitHub could implement once, and an
entire class of users would benefit from it.  It might even be a selling
point for business users, people who pay for private repos, etc.

I am going to get in touch with a former coworker who now works at GitHub
and ask him how much trouble this would really be on their end.  It's so
easy to underestimate the scope of features from outside, but if it really
is as easy as adding a hook to bounce PRs, I hope they will consider it as
a use case.

Statistics is the grammar of science.
Karl Pearson <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Grammar_of_Science>