[Rd] RC / methods package

John Chambers jmc at r-project.org
Mon Mar 26 20:47:06 CEST 2012

This direction is perhaps adding to the confusion rather than reducing it.

Let's go back to the original note:

Note: Method with signature "MySQLConnection#integer" chosen for
function "coerce",
  target signature "TSMySQLConnection#integer".
  "dbObjectId#integer" would also be valid

The purpose of the note is just to make you (the programmer) aware that
in fact two methods are available for coercing from "TSMySQLConnection"
to "integer".  Which do you want, if either?

If it's not the one from "MySQLConnection" then one needs to say
explicitly what it should be.  In any case, being explicit would remove
the note, if that's what is bothering people.

The "coerce" generic is abnormal, in that its methods are rarely
specified directly, but via a setAs() call and it's never invoked
directly, but rather from an as(thing, "integer")--this may in part be
why the behavior is confusing.

If you have an example that produces the note, the relevant methods can
be examined by following that example with
   getMethod("coerce", c("MySQLConnection","integer"))
   getMethod("coerce", c("dbObject","integer"))
You DO have to wait until the note is produced because the as()
calculations may install methods for coerce() in response to particular
calls.

Then it's likely you want to insert a
   setAs("TSMySQLConnection", "integer", ....)
into the package that defines "TSMySQLConnection", with the chosen
definition.

Just to repeat:  This is a "Note" and doesn't necessarily indicate a
bug.  It's in the nature of functional OOP with multiple dispatch that
there can be multiple eligible methods.  It may or may not matter which
is chosen, and one can't guarantee that any automatic selection will get
the "right" one.  It's nearly always helpful to be as specific as
possible where ambiguities do exist.

John