[Rd] RC / methods package

Paul Gilbert pgilbert902 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 15:23:31 CEST 2012

On 12-03-25 05:29 PM, Paul Gilbert wrote:
> John
>
> Here is the definition of the TSMySQLConnection class, and a few other
> things. This is a simplified example that produces the message, but
> unfortunately will not work unless you have a MySQL database to connect
> to. (I do get the same problem with PostgreSQL, and may with SQLLite,
> but I have not tested the last yet.)
>
> require("methods")
> require("DBI")
> require("RMySQL")
>
> setClassUnion("OptionalPOSIXct", c("POSIXct", "logical"))
> setClass("conType", representation( drv="character"), "VIRTUAL" )
>
> setClass("TSdb", representation( dbname="character",
> hasVintages="logical", hasPanels="logical"), "VIRTUAL" )
>

> setClass("TSMySQLConnection", contains=c("MySQLConnection", "conType",
> "TSdb"))
>

> setGeneric("TSconnect", def= function(drv, dbname, ...)
> standardGeneric("TSconnect"))
>

> setMethod("TSconnect", signature(drv="MySQLDriver", dbname="character"),
> definition=function(drv, dbname, ...) {
> con <- dbConnect(drv, dbname=dbname, ...)
> new("TSMySQLConnection" , con, drv="MySQL", dbname=dbname,
> hasVintages=dbExistsTable(con, "vintageAlias"),
> hasPanels =dbExistsTable(con, "panels"))
> })
>
> con <- TSconnect(dbDriver("MySQL"), "test")
>
> dbGetQuery(con, "show tables")
> Note: Method with signature "MySQLConnection#integer" chosen for
> function "coerce",
> target signature "TSMySQLConnection#integer".
> "dbObjectId#integer" would also be valid
> Tables_in_test
> 1 A
> 2 B
>  >

> The message also seems to go away, even quitting R and restarting to
> clear the cache, if I change the TSconnect method as follow
>
> setMethod("TSconnect", signature(drv="MySQLDriver", dbname="character"),
> definition=function(drv, dbname, ...) {
> con <- dbConnect(drv, dbname=dbname, ...)
> new("TSMySQLConnection" , con, drv="MySQL", dbname=dbname,
> hasVintages=FALSE,
> hasPanels =FALSE)
> })
>
> Why this would happen makes absolutely no sense to me. In the first
> version is dbExistsTable(con, "vintageAlias") left unevaluated in the
> result from new?

This is very strange. With

setMethod("TSconnect",   signature(drv="MySQLDriver", dbname="character"),
    definition=function(drv, dbname, ...) {
         con <- dbConnect(drv, dbname=dbname, ...)
   	hasVintages <- as.logical(dbExistsTable(con, "vintageAlias") )
   	hasPanels   <- as.logical(dbExistsTable(con, "panels") )
	new("TSMySQLConnection" , con, drv="MySQL", dbname=dbname,
   	       hasVintages=FALSE,
   	       hasPanels  =FALSE)
	})

I get the note, but if I remove the two lines that appear to do nothing:

setMethod("TSconnect",   signature(drv="MySQLDriver", dbname="character"),
    definition=function(drv, dbname, ...) {
         con <- dbConnect(drv, dbname=dbname, ...)
	new("TSMySQLConnection" , con, drv="MySQL", dbname=dbname,
   	       hasVintages=FALSE,
   	       hasPanels  =FALSE)
	})

I no longer get the note. I am restarting R each time to be sure nothing
is cached.

[ R version 2.15.0 RC (2012-03-25 r58832) ]

Paul