[Rd] Quiz: How to get a "named column" from a data frame

Joshua Wiley jwiley.psych at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 19:27:04 CEST 2012

On Sat, Aug 18, 2012 at 9:33 AM, Martin Maechler
<maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch> wrote:

>     > I don't know if this is better, but it's the most obvious/shortest I
>     > could come up with.  Transpose the data.frame column to a 'row' vector
>     > and drop the dimensions.
>
>     R> identical(nv, drop(t(df)))
>     > [1] TRUE
>
> Yes, that's definitely shorter,
> congratulations!
>
> One gotta is that I'd want a solution that also works when the
> df has more columns than just one...
>
> Your idea to use  t(.) is nice and "perfect" insofar as it
> coerces the data frame to a matrix, and that's really the clue:
>
> Where as  df[,1]  is losing the names,
> the matrix indexing is not.
> So your solution can be changed into
>
>      t(df)[1,]
>
> which is even shorter...
> and slightly less efficient, at least conceptually, than mine, which has
> been
>
>    as.matrix(df)[,1]
>
> Now, the remaining question is:  Shouldn't there be something
> more natural to achieve that?
> (There is not, currently, AFAIK).

Perhaps a data frame method for as.vector?

as.vector.data.frame <- function(x, ...) as.matrix(x)[,1]
as.vector(df[1])

or an additional argument to `[.data.frame` like keep.names, which
defaults to FALSE to maintain current behavior but can optionally be
TRUE.

Cheers,

Josh