[Rd] Quiz: How to get a "named column" from a data frame

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Sat Aug 18 18:33:36 CEST 2012

    > I don't know if this is better, but it's the most obvious/shortest I
    > could come up with.  Transpose the data.frame column to a 'row' vector
    > and drop the dimensions.

    R> identical(nv, drop(t(df)))
    > [1] TRUE

Yes, that's definitely shorter,
congratulations!

One gotta is that I'd want a solution that also works when the
df has more columns than just one...

Your idea to use  t(.) is nice and "perfect" insofar as it
coerces the data frame to a matrix, and that's really the clue:

Where as  df[,1]  is losing the names,
the matrix indexing is not.
So your solution can be changed into

     t(df)[1,]

which is even shorter...
and slightly less efficient, at least conceptually, than mine, which has
been

   as.matrix(df)[,1]

Now, the remaining question is:  Shouldn't there be something
more natural to achieve that?
(There is not, currently, AFAIK).

Martin