[Rd] Quiz: How to get a "named column" from a data frame

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 21:34:13 CEST 2012

On 12-08-18 12:33 PM, Martin Maechler wrote:

>      > I don't know if this is better, but it's the most obvious/shortest I
>      > could come up with.  Transpose the data.frame column to a 'row' vector
>      > and drop the dimensions.
>
>      R> identical(nv, drop(t(df)))
>      > [1] TRUE
>
> Yes, that's definitely shorter,
> congratulations!
>
> One gotta is that I'd want a solution that also works when the
> df has more columns than just one...
>
> Your idea to use  t(.) is nice and "perfect" insofar as it
> coerces the data frame to a matrix, and that's really the clue:
>
> Where as  df[,1]  is losing the names,
> the matrix indexing is not.
> So your solution can be changed into
>
>       t(df)[1,]
>
> which is even shorter...
> and slightly less efficient, at least conceptually, than mine, which has
> been
>
>     as.matrix(df)[,1]
>
> Now, the remaining question is:  Shouldn't there be something
> more natural to achieve that?
> (There is not, currently, AFAIK).

I've been offline, so I'm a bit late to this game, but the examples
above fail when df contains a character column as well as the desired
one, because everything gets coerced to a character matrix.  You need to
select the column first, then convert to a matrix, e.g.

drop(t(df[,1,drop=FALSE]))

Duncan Murdoch