[Rd] Wishlist: write R's bin path to the PATH variable and remove the version string in the installation dir under Windows

Kevin R. Coombes kevin.r.coombes at gmail.com
Wed May 4 20:33:10 CEST 2011

There are plenty of good reasons for non-developers to run different
versions of R.  For instance, I care a lot about reproducibility. With
every new release of R, lots of things change.  With every new release
of the packages I use, lots of things change.  All of my analyses are
performed using Sweave, and every report includes a call to sessionInfo
so that the versions are recorded in the final report.  If I have to go
back and tweak something in a report (say, to regenerate a figure in a
format more suitable for publication), I do not want the rest of the
analysis to change.  So I have to run the correct (possibly older)
version of R.  All of the stat analysts that we train follow the same
practice.

As a result, I am strongly opposed to an installation that automatically
mucks with the path to R.

     Kevin