[Rd] Wishlist: write R's bin path to the PATH variable and remove the version string in the installation dir under Windows

Yihui Xie xie at yihui.name
Thu May 5 04:28:24 CEST 2011

1. I know there is not such a thing; that why I said "mimic" and "the
same place" ("***/R/bin" instead of "***/R/R-x.x.x/bin").

2. Yes, I never mess with the PATH variable under *nix, because R is
installed to /usr/local/bin/ (or /usr/bin/) *by default*, which is
already in the PATH variable. Otherwise extra efforts will be required
to run R as a single letter R -- this is what I wish we were able to
do under Windows.

Regards,
Yihui
--