[Rd] Wishlist: write R's bin path to the PATH variable and remove the version string in the installation dir under Windows

Yihui Xie xie at yihui.name
Thu May 5 04:16:36 CEST 2011

First, you are still able to install multiple versions of R to any
places that you want -- I was suggesting a default place to install R
under Windows. If you remember the process of installing R under
Windows, there is a step in which you can choose where to install R.

Second, to modify the PATH variable won't affect reproducibility. It
seems people have got a wrong impression that after the PATH variable
is modified, we are forced to use the single version of R under the
PATH. You are still free to use any versions of R. The only effect is
that if you run R as a command, it will be the version which is under
the PATH. Do you run your Sweave documents via "R CMD Sweave"? If not,
this will not affect you.

If people are really uncomfortable with the PATH variable being
modified, we can make this *optional* just like what Rtools does. If
we are so worried about all these kinds of problems, do we need to
worry about Rtools as well?

Regards,
Yihui
--