[Rd] Problem installing Biobase on Solaris

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Sep 6 09:20:33 CEST 2008

Is this a pre-compiled R?  If so, please do compile from the sources on
your own machine.  The compiler output you show is rather unusually
complex and quite likely you are picking up some spurious headers or
libraries.

gcc 3.4.3 is a very old compiler: sunfreeware (which is what you appear to
be using) has 3.4.6.

I don't currently have R built on a Solaris 10 Sparc system (I do on
amd64), but we have in the past and will again when we have a box back in
production use.  We did find the Sun Studio compiler (which is a free
download) worked much more smoothly than gcc and gave better performance.

On Fri, 5 Sep 2008, Paulo Nuin wrote:

> Hi
>
> I thought of that. We have gcc 3.4.3 installed
>
> /gates/sfw10/builds/sfw10-gate/usr/src/cmd/gcc/gcc-3.4.3/configure
> --prefix=/usr/sfw --with-as=/usr/sfw/bin/gas --with-gnu-as
> --with-ld=/usr/ccs/bin/ld --without-gnu-ld --enable-languages=c,c++
> --enable-shared
>
> How to make sure which compiler R is using?

Look in R_HOME/etc/Makeconf for CC.