[Rd] memory issues with new release (PR#9344)

p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Mon Nov 6 20:06:59 CET 2006

"Derek Stephen Elmerick" <delmeric at gmail.com> writes:

> thanks for the friendly reply. i think my description was fairly clear: i
> import a large dataset and run a model. using the same dataset, the
> process worked previously and it doesn't work now. if the new version of R
> requires more memory and this compromises some basic data analyses, i wou=
ld
> label this as a bug. if this memory issue was mentioned in the
> documentation, then i apologize. this email was clearly not well received,
> so if there is a more appropriate place to post these sort of questions,
> that would be helpful.

We have mailing lists.=20

r-help at lists.r-project.org

would be appropriate.=20

You're still not giving sufficient information for anyone to come up
with a sensible reply, though.

Apologies if the tone came out a bit sharp, but allow me to
remind you that the first line of the report form you used reads:

"Before submitting a bug report, please read Chapter `R Bugs' of `The R
FAQ'. It describes what a bug is and how to report a bug."

You do have to realize that from the point of view of improving R, it
simply is not very informative that there is a user who has a problem
which (just?) fitted in available memory in a previous version, but
doesn't anymore.

>=20
> On 06 Nov 2006 18:20:33 +0100, Peter Dalgaard <p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk>
> wrote:
> >
> > delmeric at gmail.com writes:
> >
> > > Full_Name: Derek Elmerick
> > > Version: 2.4.0
> > > OS: Windows XP
> > > Submission from: (NULL) (38.117.162.243)
> > >

> > > hello -
> > >
> > > i have some code that i run regularly using R version 2.3.x . the fin=
al
> > step of
> > > the code is to build a multinomial logit model. the dataset is large;
> > however, i
> > > have not had issues in the past. i just installed the 2.4.0 version o=
f R
> > and now
> > > have memory allocation issues. to verify, i ran the code again against
> > the 2.3
> > > version and no problems. since i have set the memory limit to the max
> > size, i
> > > have no alternative but to downgrade to the 2.3 version. thoughts?
> >
> > And what do you expect the maintainers to do about it? ( I.e. why are
> > you filing a bug report.)
> >
> > You give absolutely no handle on what the cause of the problem might
> > be, or even to reproduce it. It may be a bug, or maybe just R
> > requiring more memory to run than previously.
> >
> > --
> >   O__  ---- Peter Dalgaard             =C3=98ster Farimagsgade 5, Entr.B
> > c/ /'_ --- Dept. of Biostatistics     PO Box 2099, 1014 Cph. K
> > (*) \(*) -- University of Copenhagen   Denmark          Ph:  (+45)
> > 35327918
> > ~~~~~~~~~~ - (p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk)                  FAX: (+45)
> > 35327907

--=20