[Rd] configure on solaris 2.9 with non GNU compilers (PR#8300)

toby.m@mail.utexas.edu toby.m at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Nov 11 18:33:04 CET 2005

Full_Name: Toby Muhlhofer
Version: 2.2.0, 2.1.1
OS: Solaris 2.9
Submission from: (NULL) (128.83.62.46)

I'm trying to compile R on a Solaris machine. The default C compiler is cc
(although gcc is available) and the default Fortran compiler is f95 (although
g77 is available).

Without defining the F77 environment variable, configure defaults to f95 as a
Fortran compiler and eventually fails with the following output:

---------------------------------
checking whether mixed C/Fortran code can be run... configure: WARNING: cannot
run mixed C/Fortan code
configure: error: Maybe check LDFLAGS for paths to Fortran libraries?
---------------------------------

Setting LDFLAGS to the path where the Fortran libraries sit makes the C compiler
complain.

If I give the value g77 (or the full path to g77) to F77, there are two
interesting issues:

1)
-------------------------
defining F77 to be g77
checking whether we are using the GNU Fortran 77 compiler... no
checking whether g77 accepts -g... yes
-------------------------

Why does configure think we are not using the GNU Fortran 77 compiler?

But more importantly

2)
checking how to get verbose linking output from g77... configure: WARNING:
compilation failed

checking for Fortran libraries of g77...
checking how to get verbose linking output from cc... -###
checking for C libraries of cc...  -L/usr/local/lib -lthread
checking for dummy main to link with Fortran libraries... none
checking for Fortran name-mangling scheme... configure: error: cannot compile a
simple Fortran program