[Rd] symbol.For problem? (PR#7974)

murdoch@stats.uwo.ca murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Tue Jun 28 04:08:34 CEST 2005

jbremson at neyman.ucdavis.edu wrote:

> It seems as though 'symbol.For' does not work correctly.

>>library("foo")
>>add(3,4)
>
> [1] 7
>
>>sym.add(3,5)
>

> Error in .Fortran(symbol.For("add"), as.numeric(a), as.numeric(b), c = as.numeric(0)) :
>         "Fortran" function name not in load table

I don't see why you think this should have worked. symbol.For shows you
how the name would be translated between the function name and the name
that .Fortran looks for in the load table.  It looks like you're asking
for the translation to be done twice.

Is this documented somewhere as something that should work?

Duncan Murdoch