[Rd] symbol.For problem? (PR#7974)

jbremson@neyman.ucdavis.edu jbremson at neyman.ucdavis.edu
Tue Jun 28 03:37:25 CEST 2005

It seems as though 'symbol.For' does not work correctly.

> library("foo")
> add(3,4)
[1] 7
> sym.add(3,5)

Error in .Fortran(symbol.For("add"), as.numeric(a), as.numeric(b), c = as.numeric(0)) :
        "Fortran" function name not in load table

The function 'add' is a R wrapper to a simple fortran 77 subroutine that adds two numbers.
In 'add' the .Fortran call looks like this:
	.Fortran("add",...)

In 'sym.add' the .Fortran call looks like this:
	.Fortran(symbol.For("add"),...)

symbol.For works correctly if there is an underscore in the name though.

I have tested this on OSX and linux and get the same results.

I have a test package written up if anyone wants it. Email me
at jbremson at wald.ucdavis.edu.

--please do not edit the information below--

Version:
 platform = i686-pc-linux-gnu
 arch = i686
 os = linux-gnu
 system = i686, linux-gnu
 status =
 major = 2
 minor = 1.0
 year = 2005
 month = 04
 day = 18
 language = R

Search Path:
 .GlobalEnv, package:foo, package:methods, package:stats, package:graphics, package:grDevices, package:utils, package:datasets, Autoloads, package:base