[Rd] R-2.0.1 and Rggobi

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed Nov 24 04:45:43 CET 2004

Richard,

On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 01:54:36PM +1100, Richard Beare wrote:
> Hi,
> I've had no luck with the combination of R-2.0.1 and Rggobi/gobi (1.1-1
>  and 1.0-1 beta). I've tried a default configuration of ggobi, as well
> as one with all the plugins enabled. I'm using RedHat 9 Linux.
>
> The problem I'm experiencing is a segmentation fault when library.dynam
> is called from .First.lib
>
> ggobi appears to work OK from the command line. I had an earlier
> combination working under R-1.8.1
>
> Does anyone have fixes/suggestions?

It still works for me as this cut&pasted session log from ESS shows:

    R : Copyright 2004, The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
    Version 2.0.1  (2004-11-15), ISBN 3-900051-07-0

    'help.start()' for a HTML browser interface to help.
    Type 'q()' to quit R.

    > options(STERM='iESS', editor='gnuclient -q')
    > library(Rggobi)
    > ggobi()
    [1] "ggobi reference (1)"
    >                                ## and the ggobi gtk console comes up

but I'd also be the first to tell you that I (as the maintainer of these
Debian packages) kept the versions frozen as I had difficulties building the
newer ggobi and/or Rggobi versions (and possible combinations, been a while
I since I tried last):

edd at basebud:~> COLUMNS=120 dpkg -l "*ggobi*" | cut -c -80
||/ Name                     Version                  Description
ii  ggobi                    0.99.10-3                Data visualization syste
ii  r-omegahat-ggobi         0.53.0-4                 GNU R package for the GG

Sources for these are on any Debian mirror and possibly also still on
ggobi.org.  Can't recall if we needed patches; if so they also be on the
Debian mirrors.

Hope this helps, Dirk

--
If your hair is standing up, then you are in extreme danger.
      -- http://www.usafa.af.mil/dfp/cockpit-phys/fp1ex3.htm