[Rd] Script editor for Windows GUI

Philippe Grosjean phgrosjean at sciviews.org
Thu Feb 26 12:05:09 MET 2004

Chris Jackson wrote:

>I've been using the graphapp stuff that's already there, which is out of
>date, and not very tidy or flexible, but it does this (simple) job.

>CodeMax sounds nice for code editing, but wouldn't there be a problem
>with using proprietary tools to develop R?  I see they allow you to
>freely redistribute the DLL with an application you develop using it.
>But anyone who wanted to hack on the resulting application would need to
>buy a licence, so I wouldn't see R developers accepting this.

Oooops! They change the license!!! Indeed, I use a derivation of CodeMax v.
2, which is called CodeSense (http://www.ticz.com/homes/users/nlewis/). The
license of both CodeMax v. 2 and CodeSense state "royalty-free license both
for development and applications" (with CodeSense, it is also explicitly
stated that the code source of the control can be used, modified and
redistributed royalty-free). Here is an extract of the license of CodeSense
2.22 which derives from CodeMax 2:

[...]
CodeMax License Agreement
This is a legal agreement between you, the end user, and WinMain Software.
By using this software, you are agreeing to accept ownership of this product
and to be bound by the terms of this agreement. WinMain Software License for
CodeMax:

Grant of License. WinMain Software grants a limited, non-exclusive license
to use unlimited copies of the custom control called CodeMax for the purpose
of developing applications for the Windows environment.

Runtime Distribution License. WinMain Software grants you a royalty-free
right to distribute copies of the runtime dynamic link libraries for use
with applications you have developed using CodeMax.
[...]

I wonder what happens there. I suppose CodeSense, which still keeps this
royalty-free license would be the way to go... but a discussion with its
developer with certainly be worthwhile. What I know be experience: CodeMax
or CodeSense saves your days, if not weeks of development because it is
neat, efficient and feature-rich.
Best,

Philippe

.......................................................<°}))><....
 ) ) ) ) )
( ( ( ( (   Prof. Philippe Grosjean
 \/ECO\ (   Numerical Ecology of Aquatic Systems
 /\___/  )  Mons-Hainaut University, Pentagone
/ ___  /(   8, Av. du Champ de Mars, 7000 Mons, Belgium
 /NUM\/  )
 \___/\ (   phone: + 32.65.37.34.97, fax: + 32.65.37.33.12
       \ )  email: Philippe.Grosjean at umh.ac.be
 ) ) ) ) )  SciViews project coordinator (http://www.sciviews.org)
( ( ( ( (