[Rd] Script editor for Windows GUI

Rich Haney rphaney at bigfoot.com
Wed Feb 25 19:50:54 MET 2004

A personal vote would be to make use of the Eclipse IDE, an IDE originally
written for Java but also now being used for other languages, including C#,
COBOL, and ( unless I am mistaken ) the MacroMedia "MX" product suite.
Although the Eclipse IDE suffers from many of the usual problems in Java, it
is a reasonable compromise.  Over time, as a part of Eclipse,  one is apt to
build in the use of an intemediate layer based upon the use of an abstract
syntax tree or stack machine to which "R" is compiled.  Depending upon one
preference, that layer is apt to be the Java JVM, the new Parrot virtual
machine used in PERL 6, a .NET-type of approach, or ( perhaps best )
whatever Luke Tierney decides on.  So you think of the script editor and IDE
as also linked into the long term evolution of "R" as a language.