[Rd] Script editor for Windows GUI

A.J. Rossini rossini at blindglobe.net
Wed Feb 25 20:44:22 MET 2004

I like many of the features of eclipse -- we've got all of the nice
ones on my ESS roadmap (i.e. via ECB and the Eric Eide emacs tools
integration).  It's a bit harder than it looks, though (many of the
same problems with that (eclipse) would be similar to the problems
that are holding up ESS development, i.e. parsing (for us, using the
emacs semantic bovinator), and language integration.

Of course, one of the problems is that comparably speaking, Eclipse is
much heavier/slower than the Emacs equivalent (JDEE integrated with
ECB).  Somehow, large software systems seem to increase complexity
relative to the hardware tracking Moore's law, breaking even
speed-wise.

best,
-tony

--
rossini at u.washington.edu            http://www.analytics.washington.edu/
Biomedical and Health Informatics   University of Washington

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message and any attachme...{{dropped}}