[Rd] rank(*) with NAs -- new option "keep" desired

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Thu Sep 11 17:57:22 MEST 2003

Thank you, Gabor!

    Gabor> I could have used this also.  Currently I do this:
    Gabor> z <- ifelse(is.na(y),NA,rank(y))
    Gabor> names(z) <- names(y)

    Gabor> The following also works but is less transparent:

    Gabor> z <- y
    Gabor> z[z==z] <- rank(y)

the next version of R should definitely have a builtin version,
as a matter of fact, today's (or tomorrow's) R-alpha version
already has.
My point was rather enquiring on how the "API" should be setup
(argument name, semantic, ..).

    Gabor> Another extension of rank that could be useful would be to have
    Gabor> an argument that causes it NOT to do tie averaging.
    Gabor> This is useful when you are using rank(x) in the
    Gabor> sense of an inverse permutation.  Currently I do
    Gabor> this:

    Gabor> z <- order(order(y))
    Gabor> names(z) <- names(y)

Good point!  However,  help(rank) has been mentioning this and recommends
sort.list() instead of order().
	    (and does forget about the names() !)

[ For efficiency reasons, sort.list() is preferable to order for
 the simple order()ing on only one argument. ]