[Rd] rank(*) with NAs -- new option "keep" desired

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at volcanomail.com
Thu Sep 11 08:09:42 MEST 2003

I could have used this also.  Currently I do this:

z <- ifelse(is.na(y),NA,rank(y))
names(z) <- names(y)

The following also works but is less transparent:

z <- y
z[z==z] <- rank(y)

Another extension of rank that could be useful would be to have
an argument that causes it NOT to do tie averaging.  This is useful
when you are using rank(x) in the sense of an inverse permutation.
Currently I do this:

z <- order(order(y))
names(z) <- names(y)