R 3.2.4 is released
pd.mes at cbs.dk
Thu Mar 10 10:45:50 CET 2016
The build system rolled up R-3.2.4.tar.gz (codename "Very Secure Dishes") this morning.
The list below details the changes in this release.
You can get the source code from
or wait for it to be mirrored at a CRAN site nearer to you.
Binaries for various platforms will appear in due course.
For the R Core Team,
These are the md5sums for the freshly created files, in case you wish
to check that they are uncorrupted:
MD5 (AUTHORS) = eb97a5cd38acb1cfc6408988bffef765
MD5 (COPYING) = eb723b61539feef013de476e68b5c50a
MD5 (COPYING.LIB) = a6f89e2100d9b6cdffcea4f398e37343
MD5 (FAQ) = d2e93152b963acbb53027c355dda539a
MD5 (INSTALL) = 3964b9119adeaab9ceb633773fc94aac
MD5 (NEWS) = 087f64ddfe922d2a565ff64bb8543039
MD5 (NEWS.0) = bfcd7c147251b5474d96848c6f57e5a8
MD5 (NEWS.1) = eb78c4d053ec9c32b815cf0c2ebea801
MD5 (NEWS.2) = 8e2f4d1d5228663ae598a09bf1e2bc6b
MD5 (R-latest.tar.gz) = 5953104583ed93dc2085a6c80e884e4a
MD5 (README) = aece1dfbd18c1760128c3787f5456af6
MD5 (RESOURCES) = 529223fd3ffef95731d0a87353108435
MD5 (THANKS) = ba00f6cc68a823e1741cfa6011f40ccb
MD5 (VERSION-INFO.dcf) = 71584fcd5c399b40750fcd7113521636
MD5 (R-3/R-3.2.4.tar.gz) = 5953104583ed93dc2085a6c80e884e4a
This is the relevant part of the NEWS file
CHANGES IN R 3.2.4:
* install.packages() and related functions now give a more
informative warning when an attempt is made to install a base
* summary(x) now prints with less rounding when x contains infinite
values. (Request of PR#16620.)
* provideDimnames() gets an optional unique argument.
* shQuote() gains type = "cmd2" for quoting in cmd.exe in Windows.
(Response to PR#16636.)
* The data.frame method of rbind() gains an optional argument
stringsAsFactors (instead of only depending on
* smooth(x, *) now also works for long vectors.
* tools::texi2dvi() has a workaround for problems with the texi2dvi
script supplied by texinfo 6.1.
It extracts more error messages from the LaTeX logs when in
* R CMD check will leave a log file build_vignettes.log from the
re-building of vignettes in the .Rcheck directory if there is a
problem, and always if environment variable
_R_CHECK_ALWAYS_LOG_VIGNETTE_OUTPUT_ is set to a true value.
DEPRECATED AND DEFUNCT:
* Use of SUPPORT_OPENMP from header Rconfig.h is deprecated in
favour of the standard OpenMP define _OPENMP.
(This has been the recommendation in the manual for a while now.)
* The make macro AWK which is long unused by R itself but recorded
in file etc/Makeconf is deprecated and will be removed in R
* The C header file S.h is no longer documented: its use should be
replaced by R.h.
* kmeans(x, centers = <1-row>) now works. (PR#16623)
* Vectorize() now checks for clashes in argument names. (PR#16577)
* file.copy(overwrite = FALSE) would signal a successful copy when
none had taken place. (PR#16576)
* ngettext() now uses the same default domain as gettext().
* array(.., dimnames = *) now warns about non-list dimnames and,
from R 3.3.0, will signal the same error for invalid dimnames as
matrix() has always done.
* addmargins() now adds dimnames for the extended margins in all
cases, as always documented.
* heatmap() evaluated its add.expr argument in the wrong
* require() etc now give the correct entry of lib.loc in the
warning about an old version of a package masking a newer
* The internal deparser did not add parentheses when necessary,
e.g. before  or []. (Reported by Lukas Stadler; additional
fixes included as well).
* as.data.frame.vector(*, row.names=*) no longer produces
'corrupted' data frames from row names of incorrect length, but
rather warns about them. This will become an error.
* url connections with method = "libcurl" are destroyed properly.
* withCallingHandler() now (again) handles warnings even during S4
generic's argument evaluation. (PR#16111)
* deparse(..., control = "quoteExpressions") incorrectly quoted
empty expressions. (PR#16686)
* format()ting datetime objects ("POSIX[cl]?t") could segfault or
recycle wrongly. (PR#16685)
* plot.ts(<matrix>, las = 1) now does use las.
* saveRDS(*, compress = "gzip") now works as documented.
* (Windows only) The Rgui front end did not always initialize the
console properly, and could cause R to crash. (PR#16998)
* dummy.coef.lm() now works in more cases, thanks to a proposal by
Werner Stahel (PR#16665). In addition, it now works for
multivariate linear models ("mlm", manova) thanks to a proposal
by Daniel Wollschlaeger.
* The as.hclust() method for "dendrogram"s failed often when there
were ties in the heights.
* reorder() and midcache.dendrogram() now are non-recursive and
hence applicable to somewhat deeply nested dendrograms, thanks to
a proposal by Suharto Anggono in PR#16424.
* cor.test() now calculates very small p values more accurately
(affecting the result only in extreme not statistically relevant
* smooth(*, do.ends=TRUE) did not always work correctly in R
versions between 3.0.0 and 3.2.3.
* pretty(D) for date-time objects D now also works well if range(D)
is (much) smaller than a second. In the case of only one unique
value in D, the pretty range now is more symmetric around that
value than previously.
Similarly, pretty(dt) no longer returns a length 5 vector with
duplicated entries for Date objects dt which span only a few
* The figures in help pages such as ?points were accidentally
damaged, and did not appear in R 3.2.3. (PR#16708)
* available.packages() sometimes deleted the wrong file when
cleaning up temporary files. (PR#16712)
* The X11() device sometimes froze on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.
It now waits for MapNotify events instead of Expose events,
thanks to Siteshwar Vashisht. (PR#16497)
* [dpqr]nbinom(*, size=Inf, mu=.) now works as limit case, for
'dpq' as the Poisson. (PR#16727)
pnbinom() no longer loops infinitely in border cases.
* approxfun(*, method="constant") and hence ecdf() which calls the
former now correctly "predict" NaN values as NaN.
* summary.data.frame() now displays NAs in Date columns in all
Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
Center for Statistics, Copenhagen Business School
Solbjerg Plads 3, 2000 Frederiksberg, Denmark
Office: A 4.23
Email: pd.mes at cbs.dk Priv: PDalgd at gmail.com
More information about the R-announce