Forthcoming R Conferences

Friedrich.Leisch at R-project.org Friedrich.Leisch at R-project.org
Fri Aug 22 11:32:30 CEST 2008

Dear useRs and developeRs,

I hope all attending useR! in Dortmund last week had as much a good
time as I had and a safe trip home. This email is to announce our
plans for forthcoming conferences. In 2009 there will be a useR! in
Rennes, France (July 8-10), directly followed by a DSC in Copenhagen,
Denmark (July 13-14).

We would like to have a useR! 2010 in North America, and 2011 in
Europe. Locations for 2010 and 2011 have not been fixed yet, but there
are already some plans.  Proposals to host a conference are of course
more than welcome.

There have also been questions why 2009 is again in Europe. The main
reasons were:

a) we had a very good offer from Rennes, and (and at least almost one
   year ago, when planning started) none from outside Europe

b) Having European useR!s in odd years will make it easier to set a
   date: in even years there are the biannual Compstat conferences,
   which together with all their satellite meetings block mid-August
   to the beginning of September. In odd years on the other hand,
   there is no regular big conference on computational statistics in
   Europe.

So the basic plan is to be in Europe in odd years, and North America
in even years from now on. Either continent could of course be
replaced by one of the other 5 continents if we get a good
offer. Antarctica may be hard to get to, though ;-)

On behalf of the R Foundation,
Fritz Leisch

Prof. Dr. Friedrich Leisch

Institut für Statistik                          Tel: (+49 89) 2180 3165
Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität                  Fax: (+49 89) 2180 5308
Ludwigstraße 33
D-80539 München                     http://www.statistik.lmu.de/~leisch