[ESS] Debian installation bug report with current package and Emacs 28.1

Tue Sep 13 13:58:20 CEST 2022

A follow-up to this bug report: Due to the breakage caused by the (old) ess
package, I (as maintainer of the Debian package) now received the note that
the ess / elpa-ess packages will be archived away from Debian unstable as
they make Emacs 28.1 uninstallable.

So future Debian releases will not have ess / elpa-ess package.  Of course
installation from other sources remains possible.

We debated here for some time what to do about a new ESS release, but with
nothing concrete to show, and this is now a consequence of (in)action.  We
are all between a rock and a hard place: the upstream is 'not quite right'
for a release so none happens, yet Debian users want Emacs 28.1.  So there.

Dirk

--
dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd using debian.org