[ESS] ESS 13.09-1 released

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Wed Dec 11 18:29:09 CET 2013

On 12/08/2013 10:15 PM, Vincent Goulet wrote:
> 1. introduction of the SITELISP environment variable. Please note that it is not documented (as the other variables) in the comments at the beginning of the top-level Makeconf file.

I added some verbiage to Makeconf

> 2. creation of a link to ess-site.el in $SITELISP. The problem here is that the symlink that's created is absolute, not a good thing when ESS is built on a system but used on another one. I would suggest here to tweak lisp/Makefile to rather create a relative link with something along the lines of
>
> 	cd $(SITELISP) && ln -s ess/ess-site.el ess-site.el
>
> For my distributions, I simply deleted the link since it is not needed.

Actually, this change cannot be implemented.  You are assuming the ESS
lisp files will be stored in a sub-directory of site-lisp.  That is the
default for Emacs, but not the default for some of the other emacs
variants (which are also in Makeconf now with corresponding SITELISP
entries).  And, furthermore, the make variables SITELISP and LISPDIR
are arbitrarily configurable to deal with any situation that presents
itself to the user.  In this case, can't you just set uncomment the
defaults for GNU Emacs on Mac OS X?

Rodney